Friday 20 July 2012

Find Out About Friday - How to make a Diamond Patterned Background

Since I posted this card I have had several emails asking me how the Background Quilted Diamond Effect was made so for this Week's Find Out About Friday I thought I would share that with you.
How to make a Diamond Patterned Background Using your Simply Scored! Diagonal Plate

To make the pattered panel you need to start with a square of card, mine was 10 cm / 4 inches square.  Using the Diagonal Plate on my Simply Scored! I scored a line at 0, then 1/8 inch, then 1 inch, then 11/8 inch etc all the way across.  The easy way to remember this is every inch and then every groove next to it!  

When you have done this once you will have score lines across half your card.  Turn it through 90 degrees and repeat, scoring as before.  You will then need to do this twice more.

If you want to start with a rectangle of card then you will need to use the measures along the side of the Simply Scored! as well as the ones along the top and score all the diagonals across the card before turning it.

For this card I then added a piece of matching card to the the quilted panel to make it the size of the layer I wanted on my finished card and stamped my greeting on it, and the bottom edge punched with the Scallop Trim Border Punch.  

The Crochet Trim and Baker's Twine were wrapped around to cover the join before this was mounted onto my card base.
How to make a Diamond Patterned Background Using your Simply Scored! Diagonal Plate

The flower was created using the Rock and Roll Technique (inking in one colour and then rolling the edge of the stamp in another colour) and by layering different elements of the stamp.  The In Colour Brad holds the layers of the flower together and was opened out before the flower was attached using foam Dimensional Pads.

I then added the small Rhinestones to highlight the intersections of the diagonal lines to highlight the pattern

I hope you have fun creating backgrounds like this one and if you have any questions or would like to order your own Simply Scored! and Diagonal Plate please email bekka@feeling-crafty.co.uk

Happy Stampin
Bekka - buy your Simply Scored! from Stampin' Up! here

Pin It

No comments: